Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Apple Pie You Sip



I love hot beverages. They are so cozy and make me feel like it's Christmas. I wish it was Christmas all the time (183 days until December 25). So, on days when I wake up with a tickle in my throat, this is the tasty stuff I like to sip from my mug. It's basically ginger tea with apple juice, but let's go through the rhythm. Here's what you need.

1 knob of ginger
1-2 Gala apples (or if you don't have a juicer, the most natural apple juice you can find)
2 cups water
cinnamon, honey, and lemon juice to taste

I have seen many people grate their ginger and that works really well if you like your tea extra gingery, but I prefer to just mince it into small pieces. I usually use a 1/2 inch-3/8 inch piece of ginger, but you can make it as gingery as you would like. Remember, if you make it too spicy, you can always tone it down with some water. (Side note: Do not taste this until you have added the apple juice. It may seem like a lot, but the apple juice will balance it out.) Because I usually make this for my husband and I, I will bring 2 cups of water to a boil and let my ginger steep in there for 15-20 minutes. While that sits on the stove, prepare your apple juice. Depending on the size of the apples juice one or two. By the way, any of the sweeter apples would work, I just really like Gala. And of course if you don't have a juicer, prepare a liquid measuring cup with1/2-3/4 cup apple juice. I find one cup too much especially with store bought apple juice. Once your ginger has finished steeping, run the water through a strainer into a bowl or wide-mouthed pitcher to ensure no ginger particles make their way into your finished product. Add the apple juice and taste. Please, don't burn your tongue. If you feel like it needs to be sweeter, add some honey. Or if it needs to be a bit zippier, add some lemon juice. If it's all around too much, add water. I like to top mine with some cinnamon and all of those flavors combined is like a little liquid apple pie. YUM!
There are tons of benefits to this drink as well. If you drink this every morning about 30 minutes before breakfast, the ginger will prepare your stomach for food and digestion, while the honey, cinnamon, and lemon help slim you down by ending the accumulation of fat in your body.So, it's yummy and good for you. How often does that happen? I hope you give this a try. It could become a staple in your diet.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment