Monday, June 24, 2013

Introduction of Sorts

So, I've had a food blog before, but ya know, I've grown since then and I decided to prioritize a little differently. If you don't know me, my name is Sammie. I'm 21 years old and live in Utah where it's very hard to find seafood worth a dime. It's a shame, but I'll live since I really hate the smell that lingers after I cook it. I've been married for a year to my darling husband Rowdy and we live in a basement apartment while he goes to school and I have to wash the dishes every time I step in the kitchen because it is impossibly small, but we make due. The reason I re-started blogging is really because Jennie from In Jennies Kitchen. Her perspective on food and the time spent in the kitchen is so beautiful and it really made me reassess all the things I believe to be true about food. As some of you know, I have mild to moderate bouts of anxiety and there are times when I truly have attacks. It gets really bad when I'm in a crowd, when I feel like I'm inadequate or being judged, and when I feel ignored by those I love most. Yes, I'm a little paranoid and that definitely doesn't help. The point is that this anxiety really hinders my abilities to connect to people and make friends. The result is a really lonely girl licking the spatula after making some really amazing brownies. It took me a while to realize that it wasn't impossible to connect to people, just, like the hallway of our shire, slightly skewed. A few months ago, I got Instagram and started posting pictures of the dishes I made and honestly, I'm not that tech savvy so I really didn't know how it worked, but nevertheless I ventured on. On my ventures I found out that I have 45 followers. My emotions went from excitement to confusion. Followers? Oh, a whole new world opened up to me. It wasn't too long before I started following other people! And all of their pictures inspired me to keep learning and then Chef John from Food Wishes happened and a whole new world of food was opened up to me. I have learned so much in just a few short months. I was making all sorts of things from ciabatta bread to hot chocolate stones to rattatouille. I learned all sorts of jargon that made me feel like I really knew what I was doing. Then came the day when a comment appeared below one of my posts on Instagram. "You are honestly my inspiration to someday open the bakery of my dream. & to actually learn how to cook lol :)" I tried to play it cool and tell her that it made my day and whatnot, but in complete seriousness it validated my entire existence. I would like to say I'm exaggerating. (Side note: Thank goodness for spell check) I read that comment and every feeling of doubt about myself disintegrated. If she ever reads this I hope she knows how much that really meant to me. I've never inspired anyone before. And in the end, that's all I really hope to accomplish. Long story, short (if I may presume to call it such) my way of connecting to people is through food and although I may come off as super awkward in social aspects, I am doing all I can to reach your heart through super delicious food. This has been too much about me already, but I want to finish this post by saying thanks to my mom who taught me how to make and love food and the importance of self reliance. Thanks to my dad for teaching me to be positive and keep trying no matter what. Thanks to my husband for full-heartedly supporting every task I attempt to undertake and believing in me every step of the way. Thanks to my grandma for inspiring me to do what I love and loving me in the worst of times.It is to them I dedicate this blog. Let the cooking begin =)

No comments:

Post a Comment