Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A Chicken Salad That Takes Me Back



Back in the day when my sister and I were in junior high and high school, we were in 4-H and raised bull calves. We would adopt these adorable baby bulls for three months and then take them to the fair. On show day, we had our hair done in braids and wear this horrible white outfit that got dirty the second you put it on. Besides having to change in the van and potentially flash a passerby, what I remember most is the chicken salad my mom would make and put on croissants. There are days when I just crave it. This recipe isn't the exact one she used, but it's close. Above, I have it pictured alone and with some lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, and a little bit of feta (because I put feta on everything *yum). Here's what you need.

2 tbsp lemon juice (fresh is best!)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups diced cooked chicken (skinless)
1 cup finely diced celery (I like mine chunkier so I cut it in 1/4 inch strips)
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup diced red grapes (I kept mine whole)

Combine the chicken, celery, pecans, and grapes in a large bowl. Mix well, but don't squish anything. In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, mayo, and salt- mix that into the chicken mixture and refrigerate for no less than 4 hours. It's best over night. Easy Peezy! You can serve this as a sandwich, on top of romaine lettuce, or as a side.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment