Friday, July 5, 2013

Filet Mignon With Balsamic Beurre Noir Sauce and Stuffed Mushrooms


Let's just look at this for a minute. Okay, now after you wipe the drool from your face listen to this story. I had been asked to post about stuffed mushrooms and I cringed. I do not like mushrooms. *GASP* Yea, yea I know. But there is just something about that texture. It's just gross. Anyway, it was the first request I had gotten and I didn't want to say no. So, my adventurous side kicked in and said, "You will make this. It will be awesome. And you will eat it because life it too short to wuss out over mushrooms". Then my mother-in-law gave us Filet Mignon and I was really excited because I wanted to make this sauce so bad and I figured this would be the perfect time to do it. The stars aligned and behold, a delicious meal. And to answer your question, yes the stuffed mushrooms were amazing even to someone who doesn't like them. Not even on pizza where they are smothered in cheese and sauce. Here's what you need.

2 8 oz filet mignon
I cooked mine in the oven at 375° for 20 minutes and they turned out amazing.

For the sauce
2 tsp melted butter
1 slices garlic glove
1/3 cup aged balsamic vinegar
1 tsp minced red chilies
1/2 tsp tomato paste
salt and pepper to tast
2 tbsp unsalted butter


On medium heat melt 2 tsp of butter in a skillet. Once it's melted add the sliced garlic and let it cook until the edges of the garlic start to get some color. Pour in your balsamic vinegar. This will stop the garlic from cooking so don't you worry your pretty little head about burning it. You want this to reduce to about a 1/3. While you are letting that simmer add the chilies, tomato paste, salt and pepper. (I think this is the first time in my life that I haven't added the Oxford comma and ya know what? It feels kinda good). Turn the heat off before you add the cold 2 tbsp unsalted butter and keep stirring until it is complete emulsified into your sauce. When you serve this, make sure the plate is hot or your butter sauce will congeal. Gross.



For the mushrooms
12 whole fresh mushrooms
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 8oz package cream cheese , softened
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper


 I'm not an advocate for preheating your oven 45 minutes before you need it specially in the summer. That being said, you know your oven so make sure you do give it plenty of time to warm up even if it's not in the very beginning of your process. In any case, preheat your oven to 350°. Clean the mushrooms with a damp paper towel. Make sure it's thorough. Nobody want's to eat dirt with their fancy dinner. Carefully break the stems off and discard the tough end of the stems. Place caps cavity side up on a greased baking sheet. Mince the stems and garlic finely and saute them with the oil over medium heat until all the moisture is gone. Set them aside to cool. Stir in cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, black pepper, onion powder, and cayenne pepper.
Use a little spoon to fill each cap with a generous amount of stuffing. Bake for 20 minutes.
 
 Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment